Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Loaded Buffalo Joes


Sometimes cravings get the best of you, and all I could think about at the gym yesterday was what I was going to do with my ground buffalo when I got home! Sloppy Joes are one of those things from my childhood that I love, but now realize they just aren't good for you. So I decided to try my hand at creating a healthier sloppy joe -- using bison and a ton of veggies! I promise they are just as delicious (and just as messy!) as the regular kind :)

What you'll need:

For 4 Buffalo Joes:
  • 1 lb ground buffalo
  • 1/2 red bell pepper
  • 1/2 green bell pepper
  • 1/2 onion
  • 3oz cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1/2 6oz package of mushrooms
  • 1 6oz can no salt added tomato sauce
  • 3 Tbsp no salt added tomato paste
  • 1 can red kidney beans 
  • 2 tsp brown sugar
  • 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
  • A pinch of each:
    • dried oregano
    • dried basil
    • dried rosemary
    • dried thyme
    • garlic powder
    • red pepper flakes

      **You can sub in Italian seasoning for these spices, I just didn't have any!

What to do:


Chop/dice the onion, bell peppers, and mushrooms.


Sauté the chopped vegetables over medium heat with the olive oil. Add the spices and mix well.


Add the ground buffalo and the cherry tomatoes. Cook over medium heat until the meat is browned.
Add the kidney beans, tomato sauce, tomato paste, brown sugar, and vinegar. Let simmer for 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. 


Serve on a whole wheat bun and enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. I was wondering if you had posted lately! Looks really good! I might try it this weekend with Boca crumbles or Turkey! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely try them out, they were really good!

    If you do make them, the amounts of brown sugar/vinegar/tomato paste may be a little higher depending on the amount of vegetables or meat you put in there... so just make sure to taste it as you go along!

    ReplyDelete
  3. those look great...where do you get your buffalo meat from?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Eileen! I get the buffalo from a big Farmer's Market about 30 minutes from our house... best selection of everything-- seafood, meats, breads, cheeses, fresh fruits, and vegetables!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just had these for lunch! Used ground turkey since I didn't have buffalo, but they really hit the spot and made me feel good about what I ate. :) So glad you are doing this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad to see someone is using and enjoying the recipes!! I'm glad you liked them! :)

    ReplyDelete