Monday, March 7, 2011

Slow Roasted Salmon with Strawberry Salsa


Since this is my first real blog entry, I'm going all out on it. I took pictures throughout the entire cooking process to make it easier if you'd like to recreate the recipe, but it was so tedious and time consuming! Future entries may not be quite as detailed with so many photos, but we'll see how it goes. Any feedback on preferences would be greatly appreciated! Anyways, back to the food. I made this for dinner tonight, and I'm just going to tell you: it was the most tender salmon I've ever had in my life. Shout-out to Simply Gluten-Free for the awesome advice on slow-roasting the salmon.  Keep in mind that the recipe serves four but I'm only cooking for one, so my pictures won't quite match up.

the ingredients

Things you'll need:

For the Salmon:
  • 4 Salmon fillets
  • 2 lemons, zested
  • 1 onion
  • olive oil
  • dill weed
  • kosher salt and pepper, to taste

For the Strawberry Salsa:
  • 2 cups fresh strawberries, rinsed, hulled and diced
  • 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered (I didn't have cherry tomatoes, so I used a beefsteak tomato)
  • 4 scallions, white and green portions, sliced thin (once again, I didn't have these. So I used a white onion)
  • 1 tsp. fresh parsley, minced
  • 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
  • Drizzle of olive oil
  • Drizzle of honey
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
What to do:

For the Strawberry Salsa:
Salsa in the process
To make the strawberry salsa, dice the tomato, strawberries, and onion. Toss them in a medium bowl, and add all of the remaining ingredients to it. Mix ingredients thoroughly and put it in the fridge until your salmon is ready. Easy as that!

For the Salmon:


Slice the lemons after you have zested them (save the zest- you'll use it later), and slice the onion as well. In a baking dish, layer half of the onions and lemon slices. Place the salmon fillets on top, and then drizzle the salmon with olive oil and lemon juice. Season the fillets with salt, pepper, and dill. Sprinkle the lemon zest over the fillets. Top the salmon with the remaining lemon slices and onion.

When you put the salmon in the oven, it should look something like this

Bake the salmon at 250 degrees F for thirty minutes. The salmon is done when a sharp knife goes in and out of the thickest part of the fish easily.

When the salmon comes out of the oven, it should look something like this
Remove the salmon from the baking dish, leaving the onion and lemon slices behind. Top with strawberry salsa and serve! You may want to squeeze some additional lemon juice over the entire dish for a bit more acidity.

final product!
Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. This looks so delicious!! Omnomnom. Great job on the first two entries! My only recommendation, if you don't mind me making one, is to add the little check boxes at the bottom of the entry like Hally has, because I both "like this" and think "pretty pictures". Looking forward to future entries. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^That comment was me. Blogspot is not being compliant with me today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww thank you so much Christine!! And I appreciate the recommendation very much! I'm a technology n00b though and I can't figure out how to do these little checkboxes just yet haha. I will have to ask Hally for some blogspot training!

    ReplyDelete