Serving Size: 1 muffin
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 15 minutes
These blueberry muffins are to die for; they are moist, fragrant, and full of wonderful flavors. The blueberries add great texture as well as antioxidants, so you can feel good about your health while eating them. These step-by-step instructions will help you get through the baking process smoothly and quickly, so you will be ready to enjoy your muffins in no time!
What you'll need:
- 1 cup bran cereal
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter/margarine blend, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup (6 fluid ounces) buttermilk
- 1 cup dried blueberries
What to do:
2. In a medium bowl, combine the bran flakes and orange juice. Set aside and allow to soak.
3. In a separate medium bowl, mix the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Be sure to level-off your ingredients while measuring.
4. In an electric mixer, cream the butter/margarine blend. If you do not have a stand mixer, you may use a large bowl and a hand mixer. After creaming the butter, add in the granulated and brown sugars and mix. Once combined, add the egg and mix well. The mixture should appear creamy.
|butter/margarine + sugars|
|butter/margarine + sugars + egg|
5. Add the flour mixture to the butter/sugar mixture, beating well. Add the buttermilk and continue mixing. Add the hydrated bran flakes/orange juice mixture and blend until smooth.
6. Using a rubber spatula, stir the dried blueberries into the mixture.
7. Distribute the batter evenly into a non-greased non-stick muffin pan (using a #20 spoon if desired).
8. Bake the muffins on the middle oven rack for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
9. While still in the pan, cool the muffins on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove the muffins from the pan and allow to cool. Serve and enjoy.